Papers & Presentations
In this page you will find a selection of papers published or submitted by the INTENS team, related to the activity carried on in the framework of the project.
Moreover, also a list of abstracts and presentations to workshops/conferences concerning INTENS and its main results is given.
Papers and Publications
- C. Papadimitriou, G. Balasis, A. Z. Boutsi, I. A. Daglis, O. Giannakis, A. Anastasiadis, P. De Michelis and G. Consolini, Dynamical Complexity of the 2015 St. Patrick’s Day Magnetic Storm at Swarm Altitudes Using Entropy Measures, Entropy, 2020, 22(5), 574, https://doi.org/10.3390/e22050574.
- G. Consolini, P. De Michelis, T. Alberti, F. Giannattasio, I. Coco, R. Tozzi, and T. T. S. Chang, On the multifractal features of low-frequency magnetic field fluctuations in the field-aligned current ionospheric polar regions: Swarm observations, J. Geophys. Res.: Space Physics, 125, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1029/2019JA027429.
- T. Alberti, F. Giannattasio, P. De Michelis and G. Consolini, Linear vs nonlinear methods for detecting magnetospheric and ionospheric current systems patterns, Earth and Space Science, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1029/2019EA000559.
- P. De Michelis and R. Tozzi, "Multiscale Analysis of the Turbulent Ionospheric Medium", Chapter 19 in "The Dynamical Ionosphere", Editors: M. Materassi, B. Forte, A. Coster and S. Skone, Elsevier 2020 https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-814782-5.00019-4.
- P. De Michelis, A. Pignalberi, G. Consolini, I. Coco, R. Tozzi, M. Pezzopane, F. Giannattasio and G. Balasis, On the 2015 St. Patrick Storm Turbulent State of the Ionosphere: Hints from the Swarm Mission, J. Geophys. Res.: Space Physics, 125, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020JA027934.
- G. Consolini, P. De Michelis, T. Alberti, I. Coco, F. Giannattasio, R. Tozzi, and V. Carbone, Intermittency and Passive Scalar Nature of Electron Density Fluctuations in the High-Latitude Ionosphere at Swarm Altitude, Geophys. Res. Lett., 2020, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020GL089628.
- G. Balasis, C. Papadimitriou, A. Z. Boutsi, I. A. Daglis, O. Giannakis, A. Anastasiadis, P. De Michelis, and G. Consolini, Dynamical Complexity in Swarm Electron Density Time Series using Block Entropy, EPL, 131(6), 2020, https://doi.org/10.1209/0295-5075/131/69001.
- G. Consolini, R. Tozzi, P. De Michelis, I. Coco, F. Giannattasio, M. Pezzopane, M. F. Marcucci, and G. Balasis, High-latitude polar pattern of ionospheric electron density: scaling features and IMF dependence, JASTP, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jastp.2020.105531.
- F. Giannattasio, P. De Michelis, A. Pignalberi, I. Coco, G. Consolini, M. Pezzopane, and R. Tozzi, Parallel electrical conductivity in the topside ionosphere through Swarm measurements, J. Geophys. Res.: Space Physics, 126(2), e2020JA028452, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020JA028452.
- P. De Michelis, G. Consolini, A. Pignalberi, R. Tozzi, I. Coco, F. Giannattasio, M. Pezzopane, and G. Balasis, Looking for a proxy of the ionospheric turbulence with Swarm data, Scientific Reports, 11, 6183, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-84985-1.
- P. De Michelis, G. Consolini, R. Tozzi, A. Pignalberi, M. Pezzopane, I. Coco, F. Giannattasio, and M. F. Marcucci, Ionospheric turbulence and the equatorial plasma density irregularities: scaling features and RODI, Remote Sensing, 13(4), 759, 2021, https://doi.org/10.3390/rs13040759.
- A. Pignalberi, I. Coco, F. Giannattasio, M. Pezzopane, P. De Michelis, G. Consolini, and R. Tozzi, A New Ionospheric Index to Investigate Electron Temperature Small-Scale Variations in the Topside Ionosphere, Universe, 7, 290, 2021, https://doi.org/10.3390/universe7080290.
- A. Pignalberi, F. Giannattasio, V. Truhlik, I. Coco, M. Pezzopane, G. Consolini, P. De Michelis and R. Tozzi, On the Electron Temperature in the Topside Ionosphere as Seen by Swarm Satellites, Incoherent Scatter Radars, and the International Reference Ionosphere Model, Remote Sensing, 13, 4077, 2021, https://doi.org/10.3390/rs13204077.
- P. De Michelis, G. Consolini, A. Pignalberi, G. Lovati, M. Pezzopane, R. Tozzi, F. Giannattasio, I. Coco and M.F. Marcucci, Ionospheric Turbulence: A Challenge for GPS Loss of Lock Understanding, Space Weather, 20, e2022SW003129, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1029/2022SW003129.
- P. De Michelis, The impact of turbulence on ionospheric plasma density irregularities, Il Nuovo Cimento C, 45 C, 83, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1393/ncc/i2022-22083-x.
AGU Fall Meeting 2022, Chicago, December 12-16, 2022:
- "Equatorial plasma bubbles and turbulence: magnetic field and electron density scaling properties" (invited talk);
URSI AT-AP-RASC 2022, Gran Canaria, May 29 - June 3, 2022:
- "The impact of turbulence processes on ionospheric plasma density irregularities" (oral);
ESA Living Planet Symposium 2022, Bonn, May 23-27, 2022:
- "Ionospheric Turbulence: Impact on the Global Navigation Satellite Systems Functioning" (poster);
- "Characterizing very high electron temperature events as observed by Swarm constellation at high latitudes" (poster);
- "Investigating the main features of the correlation between electron density and temperature in the topside ionosphere through Swarm satellites data" (poster);
EGU General Assembly 2022, Vienna, May 23-27, 2022:
- "Ionospheric Turbulence and the Equatorial Plasma Density Irregularities: Scaling Features and RODI" (oral);
2° Congress of the Space Weather Italian Community (SWICo), Rome, February 9-11, 2022:
- "Ionospheric Turbulence: impact on the Global Navigation Satellite Systems functioning" (oral);
11th Swarm Data Quality Workshop, Athens, October 11-15, 2021:
- "Occurrence of GPS Loss of Lock Based on a Swarm Half-Solar Cycle Dataset and Its Relation to the Background Ionosphere" (oral);
- EGU General Assembly 2021, Online, April 19-30, 2021:
- EGU General Assembly 2020, Online, May 4-8, 2020:
- 1° Congress of the Space Weather Italian Community (SWICo), Rome, Italy, February, 12-13, 2020:
- European Space Weather Week, Liège, Belgium, November, 18-22, 2019:
- 105° Congresso Nazionale della Società Italiana di Fisica, L’Aquila (Italy), September, 23-27, 2019: "Spatio-temporal small-scale features of force-free field-aligned currents in space plasmas" (oral);
9th Swarm Data Quality Workshop, Prague (Czech Rep.), September, 16-20, 2019:
- "On the RODI and Ionospheric Electron Density Spectral Features During Geomagnetic Storms" (oral);
- "Swarm electron temperature analysis over four years: statistical occurrence of “extreme events” as a function of latitude, local time and orbits" (oral);
- "Investigating dynamical complexity using a Swarm-derived Dst index and information-theoretic measures" (oral);
- 27th IUGG General Assembly, Montreal (Canada), July, 8-18, 2019: "Geomagnetic Field Fluctuations and Ionospheric Turbulence: a Characterization by Swarm Constellation" (poster);
- The Plasma Physics of the Magnetosphere. Bra-Pollenzo, (Cn) Italy, June, 2-7 2019. "High-latitude polar ionosphere: turbulence and plasma inhomogeneity" (invited talk);
- ESA Living Planet Symposium 2019, Milan, May 13-17, 2019:
- EGU General Assembly 2019, Wien, April 7-12, 2019: